Brigham Young University | August 2019 | B.S., Biology; B.A., French
Research interests: Family, education, inequality, biodemography, sociogenomics
Research Assistant, Brigham Young University Department of Sociology, April 2017–Present
Advisors: Mikaela Dufur, PhD; Jonathan Jarvis, PhD
Project: Family Structure and Educational Outcomes in South Korea
Project: Family Structure and Gender Ideology in South Korea
- Performed data analysis using multiple imputation and regression models
- Wrote data, methods, results, and discussion sections of submitted papers
- Designed and presented two conference posters
Coder, WomanStats Project, September 2017–Present
Advisors: Valerie Hudson, PhD; Arielle Newman, PhD
- Coded government, journalistic, and academic reports on 9 aspects of women’s empowerment and security for 350+ variables in 175 nations
- Wrote periodic blog posts on women’s health, safety, and community participation
- Translated reports from Spanish and French to English for coding, including one 500-page statistical report on the Comoros
Laboratory Assistant, Université Paris Descartes Biology and Nutrition Laboratory, October–November 2016
Advisors: Jean-Pascal De Bandt, PhD; Julie Rodriguez, PhD
Project: Effects of Citrulline on Muscle Hypertrophy
- Conducted literature review, sterile cell culture, and protein analysis
Submitted/in preparation manuscripts:
Jarvis, J., Read, A., & Dufur, M. “Impacts of Family Structure Change on Private Tutoring and Educational Achievement in South Korean Youth.” Under review at Social Science Research.
Alexander, A., Dufur, M., Jarvis, J., Cope, M., Read, A. “Family Structure and Youth Gender Ideologies in Germany and South Korea.” Under review at Gender & Society.
Jarvis, J., Read, A., & Dufur, M. (2018). “Impact of Family Structure Change on Private Tutoring and Educational Achievement in South Korean Youth.” Paper presented at the National Council on Family Relations Conference, November 2018, San Diego, CA.
Jarvis, J., Read, A., & Dufur, M. (2018). “Family Structure and Private Tutoring in South Korea.” Paper presented at the Mary Lou Fulton Mentored Research Conference, April 2018, Provo, UT.
Read, A., Lee, D., Seppi, G., Cropper, C. (2017). “19th Century French Perceptions of Mormonism.” Special Collections Exhibit for the Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, March 2017.
Thomas, L., Read, A., Johnston, J. (2016). “Data Visualization for Professional Communication.” Interactive presentation for the Marriott School of Business, Brigham Young University.
Family, Home, and Social Sciences Conference Travel Grant
- Brigham Young University
- College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences
- Full funding for participation in the National Council on Family Relations Conference
- Funding period: November 2018
Software Trainer, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, 2016–2018
Courses: Electronic Thesis and Dissertation Preparation, Data Visualization, Poster Design, Infographic Design, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Excel, Muse, WordPress Web Design, Illustrator, PowerPoint, EndNote, RefWorks, 3D-modeling.
- Independently created the curricula for InDesign, EndNote, RefWorks, and Data Visualization.
- Collaborated on curriculum development for Poster Design and Infographic Design.
- Class size ranged from 3-35 students; class length ranged from 45 minutes to two hours.
Lab Instructor, Department of Biology, Brigham Young University, 2015–2017
Course: BIO 130, for first-year biology majors
- Led weekly laboratory experiences and discussion, with emphasis on experiential learning.
- Class size ranged from 20-25 students; class length was three hours.
- Held reviews and graded assignments and exams for both the lab and the concurrent lecture.
- Occasionally taught the lecture section to a group of 120 undergraduate students.
HONORS, AWARDS, & SCHOLARSHIPS
National Merit Scholar, National Merit Scholarship Foundation, 2012-2018
Dean’s List, College of Life Sciences, 2016 & 2018
Global Opportunity Scholarship, David M. Kennedy Center for International Studies, Brigham Young University, April-June 2017.
Bonne Semence Scholarship, Department of French and Italian, Brigham Young University, April-June 2017.
Humanities+ Scholarship, College of Humanities, Brigham Young University, June-July 2013; September-December 2016; April-June 2017.
Heritage Scholarship, Brigham Young University, Fall 2016.
President, Pi Delta Phi French National Honor Society (Gamma Psi Chapter), December 2017–Present
SOFTWARE & LANGUAGE SKILLS
Statistical software proficiency: STATA, R
Other software proficiency: Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite.
Languages: Advanced-level fluency in French & Spanish; elementary proficiency in Japanese.
National Council on Family Relations, Student Member